Well we decided to use our Christmas money on a fish tank. I had a pretty big one when I lived in AB, so I'm pretty experienced with the care for fish. I thought it'd be good to get something unusual, and we could all enjoy. We bought a 55 gallon tank second hand from someone on Craig's list, for $350, and it included everything. Brand new the tank, stand, and supplies alone would cost almost $1000, so it was a really great deal.
The tank all set up. Click on picture for bigger view.Steve went to pick the tank up on new year's day, and we set it up together when he got home, a couple hours later. Avery was "helping" too, saying, "Oooo, oooo," and taking fish statues out of the boxes, and mixing everything up. She loves the tank, and saying fish, which sounds more like, "fesh."
The tank came with some monster sized fish, an oscar that was bigger than Steve's shoe, like 14" long and scary big, two chiclids about 7" long, and an algae eater that we kept, who's about 14" long. Ew! I know it sounds weird, but if they were ours from little fish that got that big, then we'd be used to them, and not mind the huge scary yucky fish, but they freaked me out. We thought it'd be part of the fun experience to bring Avery to the fish store, and pick out new fish. The store took our old fish, too. So it all worked out for the monster steroid fish.
Here's the monster oscar fish.
Avery didn't last long in the pet store, and buying 5 different little schools of fish took longer then we thought it would. I wore Rowan, and Steve and I took turns walking Avery around to look at the different birds, rabbits, cats, etc. while the staff were filling bags of water and fish. Lesson learned, Avery just has a short span of patience, and because we missed a snack time, it was complete melt down, screaming tantrum in the car. We drove top speed to Steve's dad's house, where we were able to feed Avery some lunch, and get both girl's bums changed before driving home, and them falling asleep for nap time.
The only thing missing from the tank is the lid with light. You'll see in the picture Steve has a bulb balancing over top. I know the danger. The chords are safely tucked away, and it should be ok. The pet store has one ordered for us.
I'm not sure who loves the fish more.

2 comments:
Aww fish are the best pets for young kids as they are much harder to maim or kill through rough hugs and eye pokes. Too bad Gabes terrified of fish!
shoulda talked about the cookie jar...or showed a pic <3 JK
Post a Comment