Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas '09

Yeah, I realise it's a few days later than, but Merry Christmas anyway! And what a good one we had. Little family of four. Avery was into opening presents this year, and Rowan, well, she liked the paper. This was the first Christmas I've actually felt really excited about in a long time. I think knowing Avery would get it this time made the anticipation feel magical, like when I was a kid. Of course she doesn't get the whole Santa thing.

We woke up that morning at about 6, and ate breakfast. Once Daddy had drank his coffee, he stayed up late the night before wrapping, we got down to present business. I figured there was no sense in waiting, and trying to keep them out from under the tree. Steve turned the t.v. onto the burning log channel, and we went ahead trying to open one gift at a time, so we were paying attention to each other. It was kind of chaotic at first, but it went really fast. Rowan got a Raggedy Ann doll from grandad, and Avery got jealous, and stopped Christmas then and there. Once she'd taken Rowan's doll, and played with it for 10 minutes, we resumed baby present time. In that break, Steve and I were able to focus on each other a bit.

After we cleaned up the mess, the girls were pretty busy on the floor, I called my mom and grandparents, then I made my bacon skillet breaky. The girls got books and clothes. I bought them the table and chair set earlier this month, and I donated a huge garbage bag full of baby toys to the Santa toy drive. I mean, they only need so many toys, and as they get older maybe Santa will bring them more. How many rattles does a baby need? Besides, Avery's outgrown that stuff, and seriously reads books all day long, so I like that their one toy box is only half full of toys. An uncluttered and clean home makes me happy, and I'm trying to battle the mess, one day at a time...

After lunch the whole family had a nap. That was really nice. Wood stove roaring, and cuddling under a duvet is pretty ultimate. After nap, we all got packed up, and headed into town, to have dinner at Steve's dad's house. It was really awesome not cooking. Steve's step sister, husband, and son, Lucas were there, as well as Steve's younger brother, Dustin. We had another gift exchange, and all visited until dinner. We forgot to bring the girl's chairs, so I didn't really get to sit at all through dinner. Avery was busy taking off all of the tree ornaments, while Row just tried putting everything in her mouth. Oh well, the little things moms do, I guess.

After dinner, I helped clean up until Rowan started to totally melt down. We stayed for dessert, which I made. It was a peanut butter pudding pie. It was pretty good, easy to make, though a little rich. I'm pretty critical of my own baking/ cooking, however. I warmed up some goat milk for Avery, Steve packed the car, and we made our way home. I'd like to mention what a great dad he is, Rowan cried being in the car, being in the dark, and not with me, so he crammed himself in between their car seats, and held her face and hands while she fell asleep. What a sweet guy, he's always thoughtful like that.

So Christmas was great, and I hope to be at my parents next year. They're supposed to be moving home next summer, and I can't wait! It's so special having little ones, it really brought back the festive feeling, more so then when it was just Steve and I.



We were all helping with each other's presents.

Rowan was in an awesome mood.


Santa brought Avery a new "baby colours" book. She destroyed her first one, and really loves it. Once she opened this gift, she didn't put it down.


Avery's shirt from Grandad. We think it suits Rowan more, ha ha. (Click on picture to see it bigger.)


Avery squatting to open her gift. Only a toddler or yogi would sit this way. ;)

2 comments:

carrie said...

Sounds like an awesome Christmas! And your peanut butter pudding pie...I'd be in heaven....mmmm peanut butter *drools*

Adorably Nuts said...

sounds like you guys really had a great time. Your a super lucky momma <3