I have been cuddling Rowan to sleep, and putting her down in her crib. Every morning though, I wake up with her in my bed. I don't remember bringing her in there. How do moms stay awake to nurse and put their babies back into their own beds? It's actually kind of funny. Last night, I stood beside her crib, and just held her hand and lightly touched her face, while she drifted off. I waited until I knew she was tired enough, and I think she likes lying sprawled out to get into her deeper night sleep. I also think she wouldn't nurse as much, in the night, if we weren't beside each other. According to the public health nurse, she only needs milk once or twice a night, and it's comfort, not necessity. I just don't wake up really, and give her the goods; it's hard not to when her face is so close to the milk supply.
Avery went to bed tonight with no fight. Yay! She bawled the last couple of nights. I'm not sure if it was some tantrum thing, or that she was holding her pooh in. I gave her a suppository yesterday, and she didn't go. How that is even possible, I'm really not sure. I woke her up from her nap at 3 because I've been letting her sleep until 3:30, and I think it could have been contributing to the sleep protests at night. She was tired from not getting enough sleep at night time, and creating a nasty little habit.
Ok, so there's the sleep update situation. I'm still not sure about crying it out for Rowan. I mean, she's teething, and I don't want to misinterpret her cries. I also like the idea of getting her used to sleeping in the crib before falling asleep solo.
Now, Avery has been having these raging tantrums lately. They aren't kidding when they say Aries have explosive tempers! Holy doodles! That kid freaks out. I guess she gets frustrated not being able to communicate with words what the matter is, but I mean really. The other morning it was that I was going to change her diaper when she woke up. Nothing out of the ordinary, we've done it daily since she was born. She lost it; cried on the floor for 10 minutes straight. I walked out, made breakfast, and went back in, and she stopped luckily. This morning, I made oatmeal for her, and cereal for myself. The usual. Well, I think it might have been because I didn't give her the juice first??? Total diva, slaps my face, throws the oatmeal on the floor, and starts wailing. Throws herself on the floor, where she cried for over an hour. Not kidding. The only thing that would soothe her was me holding her, and because there's two babies, that is not always possible.
I realise this photo makes me look like a very mean mom, but try to find the humour in it, I really don't think she knew why she was crying at this point.
I've got to say the tantrums are a little draining. After I woke her up from her nap, we had total chaos. Avery threw herself down, and bawled her little heart out. I picked her up, and her whole shirt and hair was drenched in snot and tears. Rowan had her 6 month immunization this morning, so I needed to cuddle her a bit, too. Well, sheesh. I even made hard boiled eggs and sliced avocado for Avery's snack, which she refused with face slaps. You know she's hungry, and the tantrum gets worse with the low blood sugar. She was only happy if I would carry her around, and hold her. Could this be a jealousy of Rowan, or just that she's so overwhelmed with emotion, and doesn't know how to deal with it? Steve says we'll never really understand the logic of a two year old. FYI Daddy: She's not two yet, and yes she's in her second year of life, technically.
Anyhow, I solved the tantrum today by letting her fill her own little cup full of teddy graham crackers. She was happy to carry it around. Once she settled a bit, I brought the real snack in, and we ate it together, on the floor. Rowan sure is a little trooper, and I hope she isn't so dramatic. I knew Avery would be this little diva from the get go, but it's a bit much to handle some days. I mean, I'm only human, and having two babies screaming and needing you at the same time, can suck the life out of you. But I keep my composure, and breathe, and tell myself it won't last long, and we're doing whatever it is we have to to get through that moment, even if the next moment is another melt down. I love them both, and it's good to get all of this hard stuff done in one stretch of time.

3 comments:
I love that tantrum picture of her! Keep it and show it to her when she's a teenager. Did she really cry for an hour? Poor mummy. She did totally forget what she was crying about, I'm sure.
The 2's start waaay before they're actually 2 and sometimes last past 3. Wish I had some brilliant advice for you but I'm kinda goin' through it myself, for the second time and it doesn't seem to get any easier with experience! You're doin' a great job though and humour is a great tool for coping!
I love the tantrum pic too...it doesn't make you look like a "bad" mommy at all ( silly lady )
I agree that humour is a good way to vent. You are documenting this amazing journey, and your kids are going to simply LOVE being able to know all this stuff when they get older. This will translate into a positive....in time.
You're fantastic <3
Post a Comment