Saturday, January 16, 2010

Happy Girl

It's now been 4 days gluten free for Avery, and I've got to report the kid has changed like night and day. She still has tantrums, like any other kid her age, but the all day, raging melt downs are over. Yipee! Avery has been pooping, too. I think her belly isn't hurting, and she's feeling so much more herself, and I should mention she never did get sick. :) Thank goodness!

Steve hasn't been bringing the laptop to work this week, so I've been spending my spare time reading everything I can about celiac, and recipe ideas. I really think the toughest thing will be omitting bread, though the easiest solution. And while she's still little enough, it will be pretty manageable. I have been thinking about when Avery's older, it will be hard for her when other kids are eating processed/ junky foods. Maybe certain things won't bug her, when she's in tune with her diet, and she will digest some of those things; who knows. I shouldn't over analyse, just something I tend to do.

Another element hugely part of the change is every meal does have to be planned. This is fine and normal for most families, but because we live out of town, I have previously gone to those golden arches, in a pinch, like when grocery shopping takes too long, and the monster needs lunch. Luckily, there's great healthy options for a quick snack via Atlas, or Zen Zero. I always think it's a good idea at the time, not having to unload the girls from the car, but actually feel an empty fullness that is not satisfying.

I baked a rice flour banana bread today, and it turned out great. I'm feeling more optimistic today than yesterday. I'm just thinking we may eliminate bread type food as a staple all together. I think of all the other people in the world, who don't rely on bread so much. I'm also feeling pretty energetic, and I hope the diet has positive effects on Steve, too.

Maybe changing into a gluten free family is a blessing in disguise.

No comments: