That's right, another month has gone by. Holy doodle! I feel like today's a special date, Avery's officially eighteen months. Sort of another goodbye to a piece of her babyhood. And Rowan is five months today. As if! She'll begin solids soon. Wow... I still pretend she's newborn, and wish she had the smell. Where and why does it go? I'm not sure I want another baby, and I'm sad how much faster round two is going. I guess I'm learning the true value of these moments, as I'm getting older.
Steve hung a swing for Avery. Finally! We had our yard majorly cleaned up this spring, and there was no limbs left on any tree that we could hang a baby swing from. For now we're hanging it from the frame of the green house, and Steve plans to build a nice swing/ slide set for them next spring. The monster loves it, and has now become part of the fun on our trip outside, after nap time. I wear Rowan, and push Avery.
Avery loves her swing!
I made applesauce a couple of days ago. Yay, canned baby food! It was a huge job. I used a big Pampers box full of apples. Luckily, my friend lent me her apple peeler. That thing rocks! It peeled, cored, and sliced them for me. I then cooked them into applesauce, and canned it all. Lesson learned: DO NOT wear a baby during any part of canning that requires boiling liquids. No, I did not burn her, or wear her then. I'm not totally dumb, but I did burn my right arm tons, from all the splatters. I made ten jars of applesauce, and have a new appreciation for the stuff.
Yesterday I made jam with a big batch of plums. I didn't have enough, and thought I'd wing it by adding the rest of a box of strawberries, from the fridge. Oops, I didn't know you have to follow jam recipes to a T; otherwise, they don't set. I went ahead and made the jam, and it seems thick and gooey, but runny in the jar, but when put in the fridge, it is now just about jam. It's hard to say where I went wrong, I couldn't find a recipe for the pair anywhere, and according to the canning hot line, their acidity might not be compatible. Yes, a canning hot line. The leaflet, in the pectin box, says, "In a jam? Call any time for canning recipes or help." I feel like I'm becoming the hugest mom nerd ever, and am totally comfortable with it. If you told me I'd be a wife with babies five years ago, I might have believed it, but enjoying canning and gardening, I'm not too sure I'd believe that!
We have been taking the girls to the pool on Sundays. Steve has even spoiled us with brunch after. I love going out as a family, and Avery loves the pool. I also think it's good to introduce Rowan to the water early, so she's not afraid of it. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics from inside the pool. since we're both carrying a baby.
That's about it, really. I'm loving the wood stove now that it's crisp and definitely autumn out there. Took Avery for a new bunch of library books this morning. Until next time....

No comments:
Post a Comment