Saturday, July 3, 2010

Summer?

Happy days, it's July. As CK would say, last month should have been called Juneuary, and I sure hope the sun is out this month. I need to work on my sun burn, or at least try to get some colour on my Snow white skin, that I nicely refer to as the Canadian complexion. As for Canada day, we stayed home, skipped the parade, avoided the rain, painted pictures, and played inside. The girls are still young enough that it was ok for me to stay home, and not feel obliged to go out in the icky weather. I even lit the wood stove the evening prior because it was so bone chillingly cold in here.

Rowan did the sign for milk today, that was pretty cute. Not surprising that her first sign would be that one, considering how often she is still nursing. We typically start the day at 6:30, she'll nurse from both breasts before any start can be made to her day, and by 9, she'll have nursed an average of 6 times! This is really driving me crazy. I'm trying so hard to offer a variety of soft foods she can eat without choking on, she doesn't have her molars, but what do you do when she's freaking out and ripping at your shirt for the milkies? How do you deny the most stubborn Taurus, and what do moms do in this situation? I didn't go this long with Avery, and I do want a more natural approach to weaning Rowan, but nursing her every hour or two is starting to drive me nuts! She is 14 months old!!


Rowan tries to do the sign for more, and she is actually just clapping her hands. Then she starts laughing, and shaking her head back and forth, like when you shake your head no. This is about the cutest part of meal time, especially when Avery joins in. I admit to letting the girls watch youtube videos in the morning, when the lap top is here. Avery eats more when she's being fed by me, and has a very short fuse with patience and her temper. If she is feeding herself, and can't get something on her fork (the plastic ones are the stupidest thing ever), she will yell and throw the whole plate on the ground- no questions asked. I have to either take her plate away with me, if I have to get up during a meal, or not put the plate in front of her until I'm sure I can commit to feeding her the whole time. Of course with easy things that don't require a scoop, just a stab, I'll praise the sh*t out of her for feeding herself those bites of toast. Oh and don't go there when it comes to Avery's food touching each other, or not being single items with a side of dip. Yes, you could say meal time is nothing short of chaotic.

Steve picked 100 lbs of strawberries this week. No lie, 100 lbs to store in the freezer. My only complaint, which I feel is pretty valid, is he put them all straight in water when got home. After they soaked and the ones on the bottom starting looking like dead, rotting, loose flesh fish, he bagged them all and froze them. Now I can't really make jam, home made pies, or enjoy fresh strawberries this week, as they turn to mushy piles of wet goop when they are thawed.


Lastly, we've only been sticking close to home, going outside in any sun we can, except that I still have to make and clean up meals from scratch 3 times a day. And yes, I do get out in the yard at night time. It never stops, but I'm happiest busy, I find myself feeling blue when there's not much to do, and I feel very aware of how much I'm going to miss this when I do have a moment alone to reflect; they're only babies once, and there's so much love.

2 comments:

carrie said...

I dont envy your hourly breast feeds. I remember what that was like. Edie still tries to get my shirt down and likes to rub her face in my chest but since I became pregnant my milk dried up slowly. Now its gone, and she had to learn to adapt. I really dont know what I would have done, weaning wise, if we hadnt been forced to stop. Hopefully, as with all things baby, Rowan will decide when playing is more interesting that suckling. But you're right, the baby days end much too quickly, and in that time, enjoying them as much as possible is the best thing to do.

Teneille said...

I'm sure you've tried everything & I know we've talked about this before but here are a few tips on weening Rowan that may help.

1. try weening one feeding time over a few weeks (the least emotionally needed one) & then move onto another feeding time to ween.
2. I know she hates bottles but maybe if you pump some milk in a sippy cup & hold her in the breastfeeding position. If this works you can start diluting it with homo milk over time.

That's all I have for you right now, but since she's stubborn so must you be. I know it's hard not to give in. I hope you get a bit of relief soon :)