Friday, July 16, 2010

Water Park

Because I spent the morning in the sun, I figured this nap would be a good time to update our blog. I have been tanning a bit in my front yard the last couple of weeks, doing a workout after, or just gardening a bit, so I haven't really been inside for any computer time. I do wear a light sunscreen, but since I can't go swimming to beat the heat, I do get some sun to keep a bit of summer feeling to myself. Remember pre kids, spending the whole day along side the river, tanning and jumping in whenever you get too hot? Ahhh....

Back to this morning, I took the girls to the water park again; we were there yesterday, as well. I met my old friend and her niece there, who is only a couple months older than Avery. It was awesome to hang out with her because she has been working with children in different daycares for roughly 8 years now, and she has the perfect energy with kids.


Miss Rowan is not afraid of the water.


I was able to come up with a creative solution for my recent troubles with Avery running off lately. Since going to the festival, a few weeks back, she thinks it is a blast to just run off. Yesterday at the water park, she kept doing it again and again, and knew I couldn't stop her, I felt annoyed, and like I had no control over her. Let's face it, yelling does not work. Who better to ask for advice then my girlfriend this morning? Out of a few terrific suggestions, I have now concluded that I will not carry them both into an outdoor situation, I will put Rowan in the double stroller, and Avery can walk along side me, following my new rule of either holding my hand, or the leashy thing attached to the Chariot. When we've settled into our destination, she will be warned once about running off, or whatever other bad thing she's testing her limit with, and have a time out, in the stroller. Really, this sounds so simple, but sometimes a suggestion from outside of the box, is exactly what I need.

Avery would rather play on the swing and toddler gym than get wet.


On our way to the park, Avery started yelling at me about her foot being stuck to her leg. I made her more mad because I started laughing. It was so funny! She is saying the most remarkable things these days, from funny to astonishing that she can put together quite complex little sentences. All of our time reading has really seemed to pay off, from counting to naming colours. as well as a huge foundation in words. I have been slacking on a baby book update, especially with the simplicity of our blog, but I am making a mental note to record these funny sayings somehow.

Rowan holding her mangey piece of watermelon, and loving walking, in the kiddy pool.

Avery after running, then falling face first into the pool. She shivered the rest of the time.


Rowan is getting good at the walking. It's been exactly one week now, and she's not ready to hold hands yet because she's mastering her own balance. She's also the kind of girl who needs to do things on her own time. Just like in utero, she came on her due date as scheduled, even though I believed she'd come earlier, like her sister. Rowan has always been in charge that way. Man, she's cute. I think she's saying ta-ta sometimes, as it's what we all seem to say to her the most, especially Avery. It's so much nicer than mine!

The girls are challenging at this time, but I am also so happy that they're toddlers. I love that Avery can communicate (most of the time), and that it's overall easier because of our routine. They sleep at the same time, and though it took a while to get here, life as a family of four is functional and happy.

1 comment:

adequatemom said...

Great post! I love the look on Avery's face in the last picture. I also know what you mean about needing some brainstorming, especially with an outside person, to get a different perspective on the delightful challenges of parenting! Sounds like you've got a good solution, let us know how it works!