Thursday, June 17, 2010

Out of Style

The last day of kindergym was last Wednesday, and our local play group on Friday mornings is done tomorrow. I tried to get a couple pictures at both places, but when we're inside at play group, it's a bit more relaxed than the nutso hyper toddler banshees at kindergym. Maybe they could do a separate boys and girls class? Or require the parents to watch their phsyco kids, especially around my Rowan? (Mother bear here.)


Rowan at the last kindergym class.


I am feeling a bit sad about the end of these two things. It breaks up the week being committed to these two mornings out, but Avery really loves going. I have to admit, I'm pretty lucky lately. After three weeks of pretty well straight rain, Avery and I couldn't handle the cabin fever anymore. I mean her new Dora dvd had lost appeal, and painting, or helping me bake becomes repetitive and dull to a 2 year old. I'm lucky because Steve has been working on a job at home, and Avery has free range to run around outside all day. I'm trying to turn a blind eye on unwashed floors, and have really, really loosened up on my anal cleanly ways, but just the minimal duties of cooking from scratch every meal, cleaning up, laundry, etc. keeps me from giving her my complete undivided attention, or going out in the yard all day.

Both girls love the toy kitchen, I sort of wish I had one now.


Avery and Alec, toy swipers in full glory.

Well, Avery is happy as a clam. That is until you tell her she can't do something right that second, or she has to wait a moment. This results in screaming a high pitched, piercing, ringing, glass-cracking, banshee scream. I don't know where or why she has taken onto this annoying habit, but I'm trying to ignore it, so she sees she's not getting attention, and hopefully will stop.

The screams make Rowan cry, too. I've actually noticed Rowan is totally milking it lately, and really puts on a show when Avery does the slightest thing. I can't imagine her being so manipulative, but I do think it's rather a clever strategy. Rowan is also in the annoying squirmy not wanting to be held stage, but wants to be carried all the time, too. I know, this totally contradicts itself, but you moms know what I mean; they want you when you're busy, and don't want you when you need them in one place.

Oh yeah, Rowan can not only climb and stand on chairs, but can push the chair to the kitchen table, and climb both to crawl around on top of the table. If she's not doing that, she's either in the window, or half/ fake climbing over the edge of the couch, as a threat to me to pick her up right then and there. Guess why. Because she wants to suckle breast milk all day long. That's right, she is still a booby leech, and yes, she's eating more food than ever before, but she is one of those nursers who likes a little top up all day long, and doesn't like to be hungry at all. Or it could be that she's a stubborn Taurus, who gets what she wants. I don't remember Avery tantruming at 13 months old.

Finally, I think as long as I stay outside for a few hours after dinner, the garden/ lawn maintenance is pretty manageable. But it is a frigging lot of work, like there is always something to be done, whether it's a back up of laundry, dirty floors, groceries, crazy jungle lawn, chicken coop, weeding, it goes on and on. Oh and isn't it grand that you go do a big grocery shop, only to have a sparsely stocked kitchen 5 days later? Ridiculous really. I leave you with a photo of my boy.

My number one, handsome man. I love you, Capone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling the burn here too, sweetie. I barely have time to keep up on the every-day chores of laundry, cooking, kitchen. The other chores get pushed to the back-burner and the floors are usually a mess. I can't seem to keep on top of the clutter either, which is doubly hard now that Spencer is home full-time and doesn't do his weekly "going to Vancouver de-clutter" like he used to!

The only time to myself is after everyone's sleeping, so I stay up super-late to get things done or just watch a movie, and then am bagged in the am.

And I totally hear you on the five days of groceries! So true.