We had a dietician come to our house this morning, we've been interacting with the child development people a bit because of Avery's celiac and health problems. Because she's only two, the only way for her to communicate is typically behaviour, and she is a very high needs toddler. The experience with our dietician was so great! In the first few minutes she was here, I asked her if she minded me nursing Rowan (people seem to get weird about 1 year old babies nursing these days- I know, ridiculous) and she said she nursed her three children all until the age of two, so I instantly felt connected, comfortable, and relaxed with her.
The conclusion of Avery's assessment with the dietician was that she needed a multivitamin included into her diet, which is great because I take one, and hadn't really thought of Avery taking one too, even though, of course, she should. And the other thing she mentioned is that we should give Avery one teaspoon of benefibre daily because it is completely vegetable fiber, made from chicory root, and is gluten free. I read further into it, and people with celiac usually do need to take an added fibre because they don't get the same requirements as others who are not eating gluten free. This may help us wean Avery's current laxative, or at least use a lesser dosage as her body regulates the new fibre. Keep in mind Avery has had traumatic experiences with pooping, so she is not like a regular toddler in that department. We are not pressuring her into potty training at all, and leaving it until she wants to go, even though she smells Rowan's poops almost instantaneously, and tells me that "Wowan pooped!" So you know she knows what the potty business is all about. ;)
As for her milk intolerance, people with celiac typically have a lactose intolerance, but symptoms can clear after some solid gluten free diet and healing time. This being said, we're left unsure with Avery's case because her stools were black, indicating blood in them, so our best bet is to keep her casein/ whey/ lactose free. I did try giving her some lactose free milk in February, and it was not much time after changing to a gluten free diet, but I just wanted to try, and even though she's on a laxative, it did bung up the exit system a bit. The dietician recommended trying again in another 6 months, and after that once or twice a year following.
Most diagnosed children's symptoms disappear into their teenage years; although, they are actually highly recommended to stick with their gluten free diets because the celiac disease is incurable, and their guts seem to tolerate the bad foods because they are virtually undamaged, due to the history of good eating. I found this new fact to be a bit of a downer, I had hoped Avery would eventually be able to communicate what bugs her with us, as she gets older. Not that I thought she would necessarily outgrow it, but maybe not everything would need to be omitted. As it stands, I have completely tried my best to not cross contaminate her foods, and use separate cooking utensils, and cutting board, kept in a separate drawer, to avoid any small bit of gluten because any bit can hurt and damage her intestine.
I do feel a sense of hope with this mornings appointment. I mean, it's just another confirmation of Avery truly having celiac disease. Talking to the dietician, and telling her Avery's symptoms, she said herself that yes, it sounds very safe to say it's undiagnosed celiac. Over all, providing a gluten free life for Avery has been pretty easy, and the change in her is the biggest gift to all of my hard work. She's such a sweet, sweet girl, and brings such joy into my life.
The Vital Babymoon
2 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment