Thursday, May 20, 2010

Working on the Night Wean


Low and behold, Rowan slept totally alone last night. It actually went pretty smooth, until 3 am. Here was the initial set up, Rowan's crib was in our room, and so we put Avery down in it at 7, and Rowan down in Avery's at the same time. I switched the mattresses between the two, so Avery would sleeping on her familiar and comfortable one, and I prepped them throughout the day, by telling them both what the sleep plan was.

Yes, Rowan did cry, and yes, I did go in at regular intervals, checking on her, and offering a tuck-in, and it didn't last half an hour. Avery went to sleep just fine, she spent a little time talking to herself before falling asleep, but that is nothing out of the ordinary. Then at 10:30, Rowan woke up crying, and I shot up to go in there, but by the time I'd stood up and started moving, she was back asleep. Not much different than the crying and disruption in my bed. I did mention she was sweet to sleep with recently, but Rowan changed into a bed snake, who cried for no reason, awoke to me moving the slightest bit, and this separation was due. We just need our space, and we won't be interupting each other.


At around 1:30, Avery woke up, and asked for a cup of milk, which I couldn't really refuse because we were in the same room, so sometimes it's easier to cave than fear the tantrum that could potentially wake up Rowan. She drank it, and talked until about 2:30, and finally fell asleep. Until Rowan woke up at 3, with again a quick cry, and right away falling back asleep, or so I thought... Avery got up, and as soon as I went to get out of bed, she started crying, "Mama, Mama," and then Rowan lost her mind, and I went out to Steve, who'd fallen asleep on the couch- GRRR!, and told him I needed his help STAT! So he went to console Avery, who then decided it was party time, and started thrashing and jumping around like a circus clown in her crib. I nursed Rowan, while Avery drank yet another cup of milk, and instead of falling back asleep, Avery thought it was delightful that Mama and Daddy were in the same room, and started screaming like she was front row at a Kiss concert, and Steve snapped at her, telling her to go to sleep, so Rowan started crying again, and Avery thought his yelling meant she should keep yelling.... Pure chaos.


What to do, at 3 am, tired, and you know I did not sleep while they girls were awake, I'm their mother, and have never been able to sleep unless I am sure they are. Well, I went straight to the kitchen, grabbed the play pen, dragged it into the girls room, quickly set it up, and Avery went in it. Steve and I laid in bed, and I imagined another hour of crying and whining, but after Avery yelled, "My crib, my crib!" a few times, it was over until 6:40.

Nap time was a bit hellish today. I had brought Rowan's crib into the girls room, so they were both in their cribs, and Steve's idea is that there isn't much we can do about disrupting Avery's regular sleep anyway; she'll be up all night in our room, and less likely act/ wake up in her own familiar setting. Besides, he is right, they will just have to get used to being in the same room anyway, so we might as well just get it over with in one bang. Now of course this is easier said than done, and pulls my heart strings. Avery was woken earlier than usual from her nap, and after a restless night prior, she was a nightmare this afternoon. Luckily, I put together dinner in the slow cooker, when they were both napping, so I was able to dedicate my full attention this afternoon, and we got to go outside before it rained to see the piggy and duckies.

I guess as a human, I'd be a total freak if I didn't feel really sad about this process. I know some of my friends are against the whole "cry it out", but every family can make their own informed choices, and after a couple of nights, and love dedicated days, the transition will be complete, and everyone will be happier and rested. I am still attached, and very deeply connected to my children.

1 comment:

GoldSpun Photography said...

you're a wonderful Mom Jess, *tear* ♥