Here's a gluten free play dough recipe. It's perfectly safe in case she eats a little bit. I wish I had Kool-Aid in my house for it, I found even though I used a ton of food colouring, my batch turned out with a flat purple look. I was worried with the good smell Avery would eat it, but she seems to be pretty good at listening when I show her how to play with the dough, and tell her not to put it in her mouth; although, I do catch her licking the salty taste off of her fingers.
INGREDIENTS:
-2/3 cup rice flour
-1/3 cup potato starch flour or cornstarch (I used cornstarch)
-1/3 cup salt
-2 tsp xantham gum
-1 tbsp Cream of Tartar
-1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid, any flavor (or food colouring, but Kool-Aid is brighter and has a scent)
-1 tbsp vegetable oil
-1 cup warm water
-Extra potato starch or cornstarch for kneading dough (I found I needed quite a bit of cornstarch)
DIRECTIONS:
1- In a medium sized sauce pan, combine rice flour, potato/ cornstarch, salt, xantham gum, Cream of Tartar, and Kool-Aid. (If using food colouring, add it to the water before adding it to the dry ingredients.)
2- Add the oil and the warm water to the flour mixture and mix well.
3- Heat the mixture on medium heat for about one minute or until the mixture thickens and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Remove from the heat.
4- Turn the dough out onto a cornstarch- floured board or waxed paper. Knead in enough starch until the dough is no longer sticky.
5- Store in an airtight container or zip-style bag when not in use.
6- If the dough becomes too thick or slightly dry after using, heat in the microwave on high for 30 seconds and knead.
Recipe from, "Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids" book.

No comments:
Post a Comment