I've been a blog slacker again. I'm so busy these days, two wee ones on the go, night waking, and they usually nap at different times. I'm not far from exhausted most of the time. I actually ate red meat twice last week, for a quick iron boost, and it did shave some of the fatigue.
On this Friday past, I pre-made a Shepard's pie to take over to my good friend, Chelsea's house. She's 39 weeks pregnant now, and I wanted to do something nice so she could sit down and relax a bit. Like her, I found the last stretch very tiring with a toddler and family to take care of. It's like life doesn't stop, and the mother just has to keep going to hold everything together. I vacuumed her house, and the corners for cobwebs, too. Yep, I'm awesome. But I should mention, she baked a delicious apple crisp for dessert.
I've been trying to get outside with the girls, when I can, seeing as it's just so nice out these days. We've been having non stop sun stretch the last week, or so, and it's so refreshing after two straight months of grey and rain. I actually think I'm slightly effected by seasonal depression, well most people are in some way. It is very hard to get any actual yard work done. Avery is into everything. Steve's busy working on the green house, but that means it is total construction zone out there, so you can't turn your eyes on her for a second. It's hard for me to relax with her even playing out there, nails on the ground, large loose panes of glass, ladders, saw blades, etc. Ahh, married the carpenter. I feel like we have all these plans for big gardens and everything, but it is really hard to help Steve at all, taking care of the girls. It sucks because he is doing the majority, but I mean he should be more understanding sometimes that we have two daughters under the age of two.
Besides the daily life, both girls are teething. Avery is getting all four of her two year molars, and I'm so glad that she'll be done teething once these are fully in. She's been night waking, and very sad with them, but they are not as bad as the fangs, eye teeth, whatever. Rowan seems to be pretty decent with her teeth. When a new one is cutting, she nurses non stop in the night for comfort, and that is draining, but sleeping with her really helps. She is so secure and loved knowing Mommy is right there.
Avery has been skipping her naps some days, and fighting bed time. Actually the last couple of weeks have been very challenging with her, and I've been so drained. I did manage to get the bottles completely out of the routine, and the issues from that only lasted about three days. We started giving Avery lactose free milk, thinking that it might be good until we have our follow up appointment with the pediatrician on Tuesday. I don't know what it is exactly, but it seemed to bung her little body up, too, and she was very upset. It did take a couple days to figure out that the milk was doing it, and I feel pretty bad about it.
Gluten free has actually been a pretty easy transition. I do still make things regular for ourselves, and sometimes just bake Avery a little plain chicken for dinner, instead of whatever flavour we'll have on ours. She has been eating so much more food now, and her behaviour has drastically changed. I feel so fortunate to have so many options here, via Edible Island, or even just the healthy aisle in Superstore. I couldn't imagine dealing with a major diet change in a rural town, like I used to live in up in northern Alberta.
Avery is talking up a storm! She can say all of her colours, and copies so many words we say. She has quite a few verbs, too, but mostly loves pointing out everything she sees, and she knows the word for. I have been very dedicated to reading with her, and I really think our weekly library trips, and her love for books have majorly contributed to the amazing little talker. I so love that she can tell me what she needs, or say "owie" when need be. It sure beats playing the guessing game. The one thing I'm finding annoying these days, is she thinks if she says please, which sounds like, "peez", she can just get whatever she wants like cookies. We have a ton of little tantrums, but I have been trying to really stand my ground; otherwise, I know she'll keep doing it bigger and louder until I cave.
Our weekly Wednesday morning kindergym classes are going great. Avery says gym often. I did just upload an album to facebook, Steve was able to meet me there one morning, and take pictures with his fancy camera. Chels said it best, the album captures the essence of a child's inner happiness. I'll have to try getting some on here soon. I drop Rowan off with Steve's step mom, and then go there after, and we eat our lunch there, before driving home. It's totally perfect for everyone, we get our visits in, and Avery falls asleep for her nap on the way home.
Finally, I'm going to be attending my first birth any time now. My girlfriend I mentioned earlier is about to have her second baby. I am so excited about it! I secretly hope she goes into labour at night, so I can sneakily leave the girls with Steve. Either way, no matter what happens, at this point, I'm beyond honoured to have been invited, and am really anticipating being a witness to the miracle of a new life.
The Vital Babymoon
2 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment