Saturday, March 6, 2010

Big Girl Bed

The transition has gone amazingly well. I took the side off of Avery's crib, and hooked up the two little rails it came with, to turn it into a toddler bed. I did it after I posted my last blog, the afternoon of. Avery and I did it all together after Avery had a snack. She "helped" me with it. Then we spent the rest of the afternoon until dinner playing in there. I had soup in the crock pot, so we did have a good couple hours to get on and off the bed, pretend to sleep, read books, etc.

Her last time in her crib


The first night (and every night since) I laid four big blankets down along side the bed, so if she fell out, it'd be a soft landing. Avery woke up a ton that night, standing on the corner of her bed, the same spot she'd stand in her crib, and cried. Steve eventually went and slept on the big blanket pile, beside her. He woke up grouchy, as to be expected for a restless night. Luckily, she only needed one of us to sleep in there for one night.

The next day, Avery had a nap. She played in there for a bit at first, and I thought it wouldn't happen, but it really did, and it was so nice to actually scrub out my bath tub for once. I know, that sounds lame, but it was the optimum use for that nap. After nap and snack, I moved all of her bedroom furniture around, and cleaned underneath. I purchased a little foamy baby area mat for the middle of the room, and it's nice and soft for playing and sitting on. Avery has been involved in all of the change, and I've been praising her non stop for sleeping so well in her bed. She seems so proud of herself, and really glowing. During the day, she shuts the door to her room, so she can sit and play in her bed by herself.


Avery reading to herself

Who'd have thought switching her bed would end the sleep problems? I mean, I thought we'd have a little visitor nightly, but perhaps the idea hasn't crossed her mind. I haven't talked aloud about it either, just to ensure the idea isn't being put out there. I did feel a little sad the first night, like letting go of another piece of her babyhood, and almost put the side back on to be a crib again, and would have if she had a sleepless night the second night, but I guess she was really ready. Besides, now I'm not worried about her climbing out anymore, just the baby gates not being closed...

1 comment:

Adorably Nuts said...

This reminds me of when I got my first room and would build little forts in it.

She probably notices the freedom but isn't quite ready to relenquish the title of princess yet :)

Im happy things are getting better for the little moptop. her bed totally looks like a place Id want to chill and read books in :)
xo